Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Courtesy

Haven't blogged in a while, so now I shall say something that I have always wanted to mention but never got around to it.

Having been away in a foreign land for approximately 10 weeks, I can honestly tell you that Singaporean's are lacking in a specific virtue called courtesy. But this, I am not referring to everyone, but rather a small group of people who soil the name of our fellow countrymen

Perhaps it stems from the "Kiasu-ism" in all of us, or the need to be first in everything.

I was reading the basic driving theory handbook the other day and there are only two times you can use the car horn in Brunei. I cant remember the specific details but there is a huge difference between Brunei and Singapore where the horn is used at every opportunity.

In Singapore, it is a fairly common sight for people to squeeze into the MRT when others are trying to alight. Look at it this way. The door can fit an average of three normal-sized people. Wouldn't it be better for everyone to alight in rows of three (not perfectly of course) before everyone alights? I think it will be better than two lines pushing in while one line pushes out. Everyone gets out faster, and everyone gets in with less agrivation. A win-win situation.

Lets all be just a bit more courteous and live happier.

No comments: